1) What is the working title of your next book?
Fiona Pearce and the Crack in the Universe
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
It all began with a talking dog named Dox. From there I simply listed everything I wanted to read in a story and every cliche I hated… and bam. 1st draft. (jk)
3. What genre does your book fall under?
Science Fiction for middle grades
4. What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Watching a movie of books completely warps my imagination of the story. So, I tend to avoid this sort of thing. Past roles and actual personality could really impact how I write the character.
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Between Earth and the Other Worlds, 7th grade is going to be a rough year.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Unknown. I am currently exploring both avenues.
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
It took 16 months to write the first 75,000 (and then cut 45,000). I wrote the last 50,000 during NaNoWriMo.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
It has a little bit of portal fantasy like The Subtle Knife and The Magician’s Nephew, but I am working it toward a more science fiction focus.
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Honestly, I found myself constantly scanning the bookshelves both online and in stores searching for a good book to read and coming up empty. There are amazing books out there, but I was looking for a rather particualar read: young female protagonist, interested in heroics & science, in an adventure tale. So many books should fill that void, but I was constantly turned off by the first few pages, plot problems, or the ?requirement? of a love interest. I am only writing the story I wanted to read.
10) What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
Fiona’s companion on this adventure is an enormous, fluffy, English speaking alien. Their relationship through the book starts poorly (that happens if you make someone’s whole family think she’s going nuts) and gets much worse.
hmm… I need to find someone to tag….